Thursday, September 23, 2010

Birthday Adventure

Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater
Philip and I after Dinner
Our Hotel at night
Philip surprised me and planned a fun adventure for my birthday present... a trip to southwest Pennsylvania!!  While in Interior Design at Auburn we studied many architects but my favorite was Frank Lloyd Wright.  My sophomore year I did a project on him and a house he designed... Fallingwater.  As soon as I realized we were so close to Fallingwater I was so excited!  We left friday midday and drove to our hotel which was amazing!  It was built in 1907 and served as a hotel for travelers along the "National Road" which connected the east to the west.  The hotel has had many guests over the years two of which are Thomas Edison and Henry Ford.  It was very old world looking and beautiful!  We ate dinner there at the restaurant and enjoyed music from a wedding reception that was taking place in the next room :)  It was fun to reminisce about our wedding.   


The lobby of our hotel
View from the hotel balcony
Saturday morning we got ready, ate a delicious breakfast, and traveled about ten minutes to Fallingwater.  The tour was wonderful!  Unfortunately we were not allowed to take pictures during the tour and of the inside of the house which I think ended up being a great thing as I just enjoyed being in this marvelous home.  It was fascinating to see all of his designs up close and fun to see in person rooms and details that I drew in my projects.  We ate a delicious lunch there before driving 2 hours back to Steubenville in time to fix dinner and watch the first Auburn game of the season :)  It was a wonderful birthday present! Thank you Philip!

Here I am in front of the
Beautiful fallingwater
Another view of the house surrounded by nature :)
All smiles at the end of our tour

No comments:

Post a Comment