Friday, February 10, 2012

Thoughts on Contraception/NFP

If you have seen any news recently you will have seen all of the coverage on the Catholic Church being forced to give birth control to its employees... etc.

Please hear me out :)

It really saddens me that so many catholics are on birth control.  

I know that Christian or Catholic couples who are on birth control are using it so that they do not get pregnant and can plan their children.  But you may not realize that birth control cuts off your marriage from God.  It shuts the door for God to truly have control over your marriage and family.  

God gave us the ability to reproduce as husband and wife and it is INCREDIBLE to me that God allowed Philip and I to bring Joseph into this world to raise, love, and lead him back to Heaven.

The catholic church is not against planning families.  Philip and I are using Natural Family Planning to space out our children.  Every month we chart our cycle and pray what God's will is for our lives and our family. 

I challenge anyone reading this who is on Birth Control to just explore the idea of using NFP instead.  

Most people think that NFP does not work which is absolutely untrue.  Philip and I used NFP to get pregnant with Joseph.  We knew the 6 days we would be fertile in our first month of marriage and used them to achieve a pregnancy.  I started a regular cycle back 3 months after delivering Joseph.  Since then (for the past 9 months) we have been using NFP and charting to avoid a pregnancy.  Hopefully soon we will again use it to achieve a pregnancy so Joseph can have a sibling to play with :) 

We use the Creighton Model to chart our fertility but a lot of couples use the Couple to Couple League.

There are so many great things about using NFP in your marriage.  A woman's fertility becomes the couples fertility as they chart each day (Philip asks me what to chart every night before bed and charts).  There are no hormones making you freak out or altering your mood.  No chemicals or hormones are entering your body.  You can also learn so so much about your body through NFP. Our cycles actually tell a lot about the health of a woman.  There have been many woman who have seen a change in charting and it has helped them to discover a disease very very early etc.  

I will admit the first few months are tough to really understand and get the hang of but every woman has a distinct cycle and with charting you can see a pattern and a couples fertility can easily be understood.

Why would I cut off my ability to reproduce by using birth control and allow God no say in my fertility?  Especially when a few months later when I did want to be pregnant I would be on my knees asking God to bless me with a child.  I am thankful God is so merciful and always forgives us our sins.  He has forgiven me so many times and blesses our lives abundantly even though we may not be deserving. 

So I challenge anyone who doesn't know much about NFP to look into it and see what you can learn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment