Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Rude Compliments...

So today I went to Gymboree to see if they had a shirt for his first birthday.  They did not have the shirt I saw online that I wanted but of course I was suckered into buying another cute outfit for him since it is starting to warm up and he needs some larger outfits.  

Anyway...

I was the only one in the store and the lady at the desk seemed very nice (and she was) but I put Joe down to look a little more and then pay.  As Im paying she says...

"Wow! He is already crawling?"

I responded "Yes!"

She asked how old he is and I told her he would be one in exactly a week. (I still cannot believe this!!) 

Then... she proceeded to say...

"Oh my he is tiney tiny.  He is going to be very small when he grows up!"

WHAT!!!

First of all what kind of compliment is that to any mother?  I cannot stand when people tell me that my child is huge or small.  Why don't you just tell me he is cute or has an adorable smile or something like that?  Why do you have to be rude and make comments on the size of my child and get me all nervous. 

Its like when someone tells a pregnant momma she is HUGE or is so small.  When she is told she his huge you have made her feel like a cow and when you say she is small you make her feel like she isn't gaining enough weight or the baby is small or maybe she is not doing all she should... Thats why when you see a pregnant woman and you don't know her just tell her she is beautiful.... (i digress)

Second... I wanted to tell the woman... well he is off the charts for his height and in the 90% for weight so I don't think he is tiney tiny.  Not to mention his dad is 6'4" so no I don't think he will be small when he grows up...

I did not say this (although I kind of wish I had) but just smiled and chuckled and changed the subject.

Anyway... if there is anyone out there reading this that does not already know... 
Never tell a momma that her child is small or big and never never never tell a pregnant momma that she is huge or small.  

The End :)

No comments:

Post a Comment